The Freedom Post

Filed under News

Zoology Intersession Was a BLAST !!!

In the zoology intersession, students got to visit various animal conservation centers and learn about their habitat and conditions. On this trip they viewed many different animal species and types. Day one was visiting the Bronx zoo, day two was visiting the Bronx zoo again but this time a guided tour, day three due to raining was cancelled, day four consisted of visiting a wolf conservation center, and day five we visited the Maritime Aquarium in Norwalk, Connecticut.

Day One and Two: Bronx Zoo

Day one and two of the zoology intersession students visited the Bronx zoo. Here, they saw different types of animals ranging from hyenas to seals. These animals were quite shy and you were sometimes lucky if you got to see them. While there we also visited jungle world in which many different types of tropical rainforest animals resided. In jungle world, students got to sit and learn about the importance of having a conservation center for animals. Many people are trading these animals and destroying their habitats in order so they can gain benefits from it. We learned about how most of our medications used for curing sickness, come from these rainforests and destroying them would be like destroying the only cure to a disease. Here are some pictures took while there:

Day Three: Wolf Conservation Center

Day three of the zoology intersession students visited a wolf conservation center in North Salem, New York. Here, we first had to sit down and watch a short power point on the importance and safety of wolves. The power point portrayed how wolves have been killed off for many years. It made students realize that wolves are not a danger to a world and that hunting them down for their fur is actually endangering our environment. It’s like giving an unbalance to the food chain since some wolf species are on the verge of extinction. As long as people clean up after themselves for example not leaving your garbage outside in a mess, wolves wouldn’t have interest in coming into our neighborhoods. At this amazing conservation center we took a walk through the woods and met 4 wolves. 3 were part of a pack and 1 was the alpha. They’ve been in captivity for a long time however they seemed fairly happy to be out in the open with a couple acres of land to themselves. Pictures:

Day Five: Maritime Aquarium

Day five of the zoology intersession students got to see and experience the Maritime Aquarium. At this aquarium, we got to dissect sharks and have a look around at the different aquatic animals. While dissecting sharks, we removed the heart and also learned how sharks breathe through gills and in order to keep breathing they must be at constant motion which explains why sharks always swim forwards. While there we also got to touch live jellyfish and stingrays. We saw many sharks and sadly no whales. Seals, a lot of fish were there too.