The Freedom Post

Filed under Soapbox

I Bleed Blue

Wenjian Liu or Rafael Ramos or Montrell Jackson or Miosotis Familia or Eric Joering or Anthony Morelli or . . . These are all familiar names you’ve probably heard on the news in the past few years. All these heroes and so many more have died because of people who are too ignorant to understand the duties of a police officer.  They are the men and women who put their lives on the line to save us every day. Sacrifice, an act of giving up something valued for the sake of something else regarded as more important or worthy. Officers, on and off duty, are constantly putting their lives on the line for our safety. RESPECT and cooperation is all they ask for and do not receive either of those from a lot of people. Do you have a close family member that works under any branch of law enforcement ?? I do. Growing up the child of a man in uniform, I have the fear of not knowing if my dad is going to come home safe. It’s a terrifying feeling and one that no one should have to go through. They do their jobs to keep us safe, the least we can do is help. It is a nationwide problem that police are scared for their lives, and this interferes with their jobs.

From California to New York, police fatality is a problem. Men and women all over the country are being targeted because of their profession, no matter what race they are (Washington Post “Blue Lives…”). Racial support group extremists represent the thought “Blue Lives Don’t Matter” creating a stigma that it is okay to kill police officers because of police officers killing them. With the mainstream media on their side, the hateful ideology of these Black Lives Matter supporters spreads to many people, turning even more people against the police. The thing people don’t realize is that if they don’t have the police, there is no one else to keep them safe. Due to the uncooperative actions of the media, Americans have become concerned about their safety, ideas, principles and have begun to lose their trust in their law enforcement officers . . . the people they should trust the most (Real Clear Politics “Why Blue lives…”).  Four Oakland, California police officers were fatally shot on March 21, 2009, by Lovelle Mixon, a convicted felon wanted on a no-bail warrant for a parole violation. Mixon shot and killed two Oakland police officers during a routine traffic stop. After escaping on foot to the nearby apartment of his sister, Mixon shot and killed two other officers.  In the state of Louisiana, the first “Blue Lives Matter” law was passed, making any assault towards a police officer a hate crime since there have been so many deaths relating to the job title (BlueLivesMatter.Blue “About Blue…”). Because they wear their uniforms, because they are called to be in a vulnerable state, because they are always out in the open, law enforcement officers are easily targeted by assaults, complaints and lawsuits. People see them as a way to get their point viewed by the public, especially knowing that they will be acknowledged by the media (Real Clear Politics “Why Blue Lives…”).  For most of the last 35 years, the number of police officers who die on the job in the U.S. declined, but one grim statistic has held steady: The most common cause of death was gun homicide. Those numbers grew significantly when five police officers were shot and killed (July 2016) at a demonstration in Dallas that was protesting recent killings by police officers in other states. President Obama called it “a vicious, calculated and despicable attack on law enforcement.

“To Protect and To Serve” is their motto.

They put their lives at risk, so that we can live ours to the fullest !!

I defend police because they protect me. I stand for law enforcement because they shelter me. O, THANK YOU . . . police, corrections, and anyone else in uniform. By putting on the uniform, not only are they becoming an officer, but also a guardian angel protecting us. These Heroes in Blue do the best they can with what they are given and that is all you could ask for.

Pigs in a blanket . . .

Fry them like bacon . . .

Bears and bizzies . . .

Crooked cops . . .

All these names, and many more, are names that people call the police that are both rude and disgusting. Having to deal with so much hate, no one in the future will ever want to become an officer again. People bring shame upon being a police officer by treating them with no respect, and as a result, people fear risking their lives. People don’t consider how police must think twice in such a short amount of time. They denounce the vulnerability the job puts people in, just because of the mistakes of very few. With such hate towards them, officers cannot do their jobs to the best of their abilities anymore. They are afraid that when they go out to do their jobs, they will be approached by someone who doesn’t support them, and they might just not make it to see tomorrow.  I am extremely thankful and appreciative for the life I can live through protection from the men and women in blue.

Here are some facts to consider :

• There are more than 900,000 sworn law enforcement officers now serving in the United States, which is the highest figure ever. About 12 percent of those are female.
  • According to the preliminary FBI’s Uniform Crime Report from January to June 2016-2017, an estimated 442,824 Violent Crimes occurred nationwide, a decrease of 0.8%.
  • Crime fighting has taken its toll. Since the first recorded police death in 1791, there have been over 21,000 law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty. Currently, there are 21,541 names engraved on the walls of the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial.
  • A total of 1,511 law enforcement officers died in the line of duty during the past 10 years, an average of one death every 58hours or 151 per year. There were 129 law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty in 2017.
  • There have been 58,627 assaults against law enforcement officers in 2016, resulting in 16,677 injuries.
  • The 1920s were the deadliest decade in law enforcement history, when a total of 2,480 officers died, or an average of almost 248 each year. The deadliest year in law enforcement history was 1930 when 310 officers were killed. That figure dropped dramatically in the 1990s, to an average of 162 per year.
  • The deadliest day in law enforcement history was September 11, 2001, when 72 officers were killed while responding to the terrorist attacks on America.
  • New York City has lost more officers in the line of duty than any other department, with 833 deaths. Texas has lost 1,731 officers, more than any other state. The state with the fewest deaths is Vermont, with 23.

www.nleomf.org/facts/enforcement/

http://beyondtheline.us/

Work Cited/Bibliography

Blue, Officer. About Blue Lives Matter. 14 May 2017

https://www.themaven.net/bluelivesmatter/pages/about-blue-lives-matter-rF54b2VNMUOrl7wfh8vRXQ

Clarke, David. Why Blue Lives Matter in America. 21 July 2016

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2016/07/21/why_blue_lives_matter_in_america_131257.html#!

Guariglia, Matthew. Blue Lives Do Matter- That’s the Problem. 30 November 2017

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/made-by-history/wp/2017/11/30/why-blue-lives-matter/?utm_term=.aeea525dbcf7

Ransby, Barbara. Black Lives Matter Is A Democracy in Action. 21 October 2017

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/21/opinion/sunday/black-lives-matter-leadership.html