The Freedom Post

Filed under A & E, Movie/TV Reviews

A Quiet Place

In the modern horror thriller A QUIET PLACE, a family of four must navigate their lives in silence after mysterious creatures that hunt by sound threaten their survival. Those who have survived live by one rule: never make a sound. If they hear you, they hunt you.

On April 6, 2018 a movie called “A Quiet Place” made its debut into the world. A film starring John Krasinski, who also directed, and his wife Emily Blunt play a couple who look after 3 children in a silent world that is filled with danger. They travel in silence as they try to escape creatures that hunt by sound and struggle to make ends meet to protect each other.

At first, when I saw the trailer to this movie I just thought it was a regular horror movie with your average family being tormented by demons or something to that extent. So when I was invited to go to the movies to watch this, I reluctantly went against my will since I wanted to get out of my house. Since I don’t like horror movies, I was a little timid the car ride there and on line buying tickets. Once the trailers rolled through (which I must say there are a lot of good movies coming out soon like Infinity War) and the movie started I began to mentally prepare myself for yet another terrible horror movie.

A Quiet Place definitely had me by surprise and holds true to its name. The whole movie is a silent film, as the characters communicate in sign language. It definitely is scary but not in the sense of demons and people being possessed like a normal scary movie would have. It had a lot of pop-ups and with the silence it only built up the suspense of what was happening on screen. There were a couple of times where I had to watch through my fingers and hope that whatever happened next didn’t cause me to drop my popcorn or spill my drink. This movie had me shushing the characters on screen more than everyone else in the theater. It was overall a good movie and had a great storyline and I would definitely watch again. However, I did have many questions throughout the movie but I can only hope that they become answered in a sequel as the ending definitely hinted that there is a possibility it could be a series. I won’t spoil it, but I will encourage you to watch it so we can talk about it for hours.

SNL made a very funny spoof trailer . . .

“A Quiet Place is an undoubtedly taxing affair for the nerves; fortunately, it’s also a deeply affecting one.”- David Sims, The Atlantic

“An intriguing premise makes ‘A Quiet Place’ an essential horror flick because of its understanding of the genre, and a cast that absorbs you into their terrifying world.”- Neil Soans, Times of India

“The movie suffers from having no obvious endgame, and it’s not as fun as the recent, less tony shut-the-hell-up horror movie Don’t Breathe. But it’s aggressively scary.”- David Edelstein, Vulture

“A Quiet Place lives up to the ambitious challenge that it sets for itself, taking audiences on a compelling and suspenseful journey along the way.”- Sandy Schaefer, Screen Rant