The Freedom Post

Filed under Movie/TV Reviews

Love, Simon

Based on the book Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli, the romantic-comedy-drama Love, Simon is about a 17 year old boy who seems to have the perfect life. With a loving (as well as liberal) family, supportive and fun best friends as well as his drama club group, Simon seems to have no concerns or worries in his ordinary life, except that he is hiding his sexual identity. Simon is gay.  It’s not because he thinks that people close to him are homophobic and won’t love him anymore, it’s just that he thinks that things will completely change for him. He doesn’t understand why gay people have to come out while straight people don’t, he wonders why straight is always the default.

Simon spends a lot of time talking to an anonymous person online.  As it turns out, they also go to the same school. Simon and his secret friend share the same secret but don’t know each other’s identities, this does not only make it exciting for Simon to find out but also for the audience.  What’s groundbreaking about Love, Simon is that it’s a typical rom-com about a 17 year old, trying to deal with daily life, but unlike some movies with gay characters this one seem to have all the clichés and love-dovey aspects work out. Usually when there is a movie about a gay character, they are either portrayed as very stereotypical sidekicks with no personality except their sexuality is used as a device plot.  Another original idea is for gay characters to go through some horrible tragedy due to their homophobic family and society (culture) they live in. This movie portrays what it’s like for gay teens to come out and be true to themselves without being judged.  We live in a very diverse society, Love Simon is the perfect movie for gay teens to see themselves in mainstream media, finally relate to a story as well as feel represented.

Everyone deserves a great love story. . . .

GENRES

Drama

DIRECTED BY

Greg Berlanti

SCREENPLAY BY

Elizabeth Berger & Isaac Aptaker

BASED UPON THE NOVEL

“Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda” by Becky Albertalli

PRODUCED BY

Wyck Godfrey, Marty Bowen, Pouya Shahbazian, Isaac Klausner

CAST

Nick Robinson, Katherine Langford, Alexandra Shipp, Josh Duhamel, Logan Miller, Jorge Lendeborg Jr., Tony Hale, Natasha Rothwell, Keiynan Lonsdale, Miles Heizer, and Jennifer Garner